Monday, April 20, 2009

Some Large Number of Theses (Number one of.....

I figure, in honor of the event that kicked off the whole reformation thing (not necessarily in actuality, but in popular perception, and as we all know, sometimes perception is just as/more important than reality), I should nail some theses to my proverbial door. Not having a virtual door, of course I will just post them on my blog, much as Luther also may not have nailed his theses to any sort of door whatsoever, but instead mailed them to some of his friends and contemporaries. My list will begin here, but will likely continue as a regular column, and I feel no numerical obligation due to the original number of 95, but instead will "thes-ify" as the spirit so moves me.

Thesis 1: Christianity was not born as an institution but a spiritual path, and most of the terrors wrought on society and other Christians over the years were perpetrated by Christian institutions. Therefore, we should avoid institutionality whenever possible: through organic and local community development, through radical and broad decision-making in those communities and any broader associations, by choosing partnership models of leadership and facilitation instead of hierarchical models, by valuing every single voice over the time it takes to listen to them, and favoring consensus building over majority-rule on all levels of community or association.

This is the one I am feeling strongest about today, but this list will be in no strategic order. I hope it will evolve organically from my observations and impressions. The reason for its occupation of the forefront of my mind is my recent attendance at the Alliance of Baptists convocation, at which I saw Diana Butler Bass whose words inspired this blog. At that convocation, I was also able to be a part of broad-based and participatory decision making and visioning, where every voice was heard and valued and transparency was unceasing. Also, discussions and examples of partnership models of ministry were everywhere, from the new leadership partnership of the Alliance to the church hosting us which is pastored by a married couple as a team of equal partners. In that convocation, I saw much hope for the future of Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
Radical Re-Reformation by Anna Hall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.